Beth Dineen Engel
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sweet Italian sausages, skinned and sliced
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 -35 oz. can peeled Italian tomatoes, drained
- 1 tsp leaf oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lb. ziti or rigatoni
- 1/4 C chopped fresh parsley
- Parmesan cheese
Heat oil in a large skillet over moderate heat. Add sausage and cook 5 minutes, breaking meat up with the side of a spoon, until meat loses pink color. Add garlic and mushrooms. Cook 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring mixture to a boil, stirring often and breaking up tomatoes with the side of a spoon. Add oregano, fennel, and salt. Simmer 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Cook pasta in boiling water, following package directions. Drain. Place in large serving dish.
Stir parsley into sauce. Pour over pasta. Top with Parmesan cheese.