Dick Kelly, the Leprechauno
(A Real Adventure)
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 small white onion
- 2-4 (4 for the more adventurous) jalapeno chilies (for those North of the Rio Grande, use only 1/2 of one, seeded)
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1-1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 large (about 10 oz.) russet potato, peeled and chopped
- Carrots (choose your own amount)
- 1/3 C chopped parsley
- 4 C regular strength chicken broth
- 1-16 oz. can pumpkin
- 1/4 C dry sherry (preferably California sherry)
Melt butter in a 4 to 5 quart pan over medium high heat. Add onion, chilies, pepper, and curry powder. Stir until onion is limp. Add potato, carrots, parsley, and two cups broth. Bring to a boil on high heat. Cover and simmer until vegetables are very tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes.
In a blender or food processor, puree vegetable mixture. Return mixture to pan. Stir in pumpkin, remaining broth, and sherry. If made ahead, cover and chill up to three days. Stir over medium heat until hot.
Makes four servings, 1-3/4 cups each. Serve with French bread, a nice white wine, a tossed green salad. Sabroso.