This sauce makes a great pizza topping as well with the addition of a little lowfat mozzarella and parmesan cheese. (12 servings)
- 1 ½ lb. (dry weight) penne pasta
- 1 oz. dried Chinese mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 10 Tbsp. mushroom soaking liquid
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. minced fresh garlic
- ½ cup julienne roasted peppers
- 1 ½ cup diced roasted eggplant
- 3 ½ cups diced canned tomatoes
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
Soak the dry mushrooms overnight in 1 quart of boiling water. Make sure the mushrooms are below waterline. The next day, drain and reserve the soaking liquid. Run the mushroom caps under cold water and cut out the stems. Slice the caps thinly and set aside. Strain the soaking liquid through a cheesecloth-lined strainer and pour into heavy-bottomed pot. Reduce by 1/3 volume over high heat. Set aside.
Wilt the onions, garlic and salt in a large sauté pan with the mushroom soaking liquid. Cover the pan and keep the heat low until the vegetables are tender. Add the peppers, eggplant and the reserved mushrooms cooking until all are tender. Add the tomatoes with their juice and cook, uncovered, until thickened. Add the fresh basil just before serving.
Per Serving: Calories: 232 Protein: 8gm Fat: 2gm
Carbohydrates: 18gm Sodium: 758mg