[vc_row full_width=”stretch_row”][vc_column width=”3/4″][vc_column_text]Cannoli are Sicilian pastry desserts. The singular is cannolo , or in the Sicilian language, cannolu, meaning “little tube”. Cannoli originated in Sicily and are an essential part of Sicilian cuisine. They are also popular in the United States and are known as a general Italian pastry, while they are specifically Sicilian in origin, in Italy they’re commonly known as “cannoli siciliani”, Sicilian cannoli.
Cannoli consist of tube-shaped shells of fried pastry dough, filled with a sweet, creamy filling usually containing ricotta cheese and or chocolate flavored pastry cream. They range in size from “cannulicchi”, no bigger than a finger, to the fist-sized proportions typically found in Piana degli Albanesi, south of Palermo, Sicily.
This recipe makes about 25
for the cannoli
- 2 cups or 300 gr flour
- 1 oz or 30 gr sugar
- 1 teaspoon chocolate powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 oz or 35 gr of butter, melted
- 1 cup or 240 cc dry Marsala wine
- 1 oz or 30 gr of butter, for brushing
- 1 egg white
- frying oil
for the ricotta filling
- 1 – 1/2 lbs (750 gr) fresh ricotta cheese, drained
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1/2 lb ,230 gr powdered sugar
- 4 oz, 120 gr candied fruit, finely diced
- 2 oz, 65 gr bittersweet chocolate, diced
- 2 oz, 65 gr powdered sugar, for dusting
Pasta Machine for making fresh thin pasta leafs…
Lets start to make the cannoli shells:
To make cannoli you need the metal tubes sold for this purpose. Pieces of cane can also be used, approximately 3/4 inch in diameter and 6 inches long or 2 cm in diameter, 15 cm long.
In a food processor fitted with metal blades, or mix by hand in a bowl,mix together the flour, sugar, chocolate powder, salt, butter, and enough Marsala wine to make a firm and sticky dough.
Transfer it to a lightly floured work surface and knead the dough lightly by hand, adding some flour as needed, a little at the time, until you get a smooth dough.Shape the dough to a ball, put it in a dish, cover it with a plastic wrap, and put aside for about 1 hour.
Then put the dough to a lightly floured work surface or a large wood board and knead again just for few minutes. Put the dough back in the plate and cover with the plastic wrap, and set aside for 50 more minutes.Put the dough back on the work surface again, and cut into 4 pieces.
Pass each piece through the pasta machine, starting with the widest number setting. Repeat the step until you get to number 5 on the dial and thin smooth pasta sheets are made.
Once done cut the dough into squares 4 x 4 inch (10 x 10 cm).Lightly butter the metal tubes and wrap the squares around the tubes or cane diagonally. Be careful don’t press the dough against the tubes too much or it will be difficult to remove the tubes afterward.
Wet the overlapping part of the dough squares with the egg white and press on the edges to stick them together.
In a deep frying pan bring the oil to frying temperature and fry the cannoli until golden brown just a few at a time.
Once fried remove from the pan and transfer them on paper towels on a plate to drain off (absorb) the excess oil.
Remove the cannoli shells from the tubes while they are still warm.Once you finish forming and frying all the dough for the cannoli you start making the filling.
Now let’s prepare the ricotta filling for the cannoli:
In a medium bowl mix the ricotta cheese, vanilla, and the powdered sugar. Put aside 2 pieces of candied fruit per each cannoli for decoration. Mix the candied fruit and the diced chocolate with the cheese filling.
Using a small spoon fill the cannoli with the cheese mixture, and garnish the ends with pieces of candied fruit.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/4″][vc_accordion active_tab=”0″][vc_accordion_tab title=”Appetizers” tab_id=”1556997150-1-147558-409e”][vc_column_text]
- Sicilian Risotto
- Pasta with Prawns & Pistachio Pesto
- Rigatoni al Funghi
- Spaghetti alla Glassa
- Pasta with Artichokes
- Pasta with Anchovies and Toasted Bread Crumbs
- Spaghetti with Tuna and Cherry Tomatoes
- Spaghetti with Clams
- Pasta with Pesto from Trapani
- Pasta alla Norma
- Pasta with Fried Zucchini, Tomatoes and Bacon
- Spaghetti with Prawns
- Pasta con le Sarde alla Siciliana (Sicilian Pasta with Sardines)
- Sicilian Pasta alla Norma
[/vc_column_text][/vc_accordion_tab][vc_accordion_tab title=”Soup” tab_id=”1556997150-2-377558-409e”][vc_column_text]
- Zuppa di Ceci (Chick Pea Soup)
- Zuppa di Zucchine (Zucchini Soup)
- Zuppa Badduzzi (Mini Meat Ball Soup)
[/vc_column_text][/vc_accordion_tab][vc_accordion_tab title=”Salads” tab_id=”1556997344778-2-67558-409e”][vc_column_text]
[/vc_column_text][/vc_accordion_tab][vc_accordion_tab title=”Side Dishes” tab_id=”1556997364706-3-47558-409e”][vc_column_text]
- Calamari Fritti
- Baked Zucchini and Potatoes Sicilian Style
- Broccoli “drowned” in wine
- Polpette di Tonno al Forno con Patate (Tuna Balls with Potatoes)
- Parmigiana di Melanzane (Eggplant Parmesan)
- Sage and Red Onion Frittata
- Frittata con Salsiccia e Patate (Omelette with Sausage & Potatoes)
- Frittata di Zucchine e Mozzarella
- Caciocavallo Ragusano Fritto
- Tomini di Capra al Finocchio (Goat Tomini Fennel Cheese)
- Melenzane Impanate (Breaded Eggplant)
- Pomodori Ripieni (Stuffed Tomatoes)
- Olive alla Stimpirata
[/vc_column_text][/vc_accordion_tab][vc_accordion_tab title=”First Course” tab_id=”1556997395233-4-37558-409e”][vc_column_text]
[/vc_column_text][/vc_accordion_tab][vc_accordion_tab title=”Second Course” tab_id=”1556997415690-5-77558-409e”][vc_column_text]
- Fettine alla Pizzaiola
- Veal Scaloppini in Marsala Wine with Mushrooms
- Sicilian Stuffed Squid
- Merluzzo alla Siciliana (Cod Sicilian Style)
- Swordfish Rolls (Involtini di Pesce Spada)
- Squid and Cuttlefish from Syracusa
- Agnello al Rosmarino (Rosemary Leg of Lamb)
- Turkey Breast Roast with Peppers
- Swordfish with Capers
- Involtini di Carne alla Siciliana (Sicilian Meat Rolls)
- Involtini alla Messinese (Meat Rolls Messina Style)
[/vc_column_text][/vc_accordion_tab][vc_accordion_tab title=”Specialty Dishes” tab_id=”1556997447994-6-17558-409e”][vc_column_text]
[/vc_column_text][/vc_accordion_tab][vc_accordion_tab title=”Dolce” tab_id=”1556997480298-7-07558-409e”][vc_column_text]
- Parfait di Mandorle (Almond Parfait)
- Cassata Siciliana (Cassata Cake)
- Sorbetto di Fragole (Strawberry Sorbet)
- Crispelle di Riso
- Latte di Mandorla (Almond Milk)
- Almond Cookies