What better way to use up that delicious Ham Bone?!?
- 1 lb. dried green and yellow split peas
- 8 c. chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 c. water
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 4 ribs celery, leaves included, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (or to taste) tarragon
- 4 (or more) carrots, chopped
- 1 c. slivered fresh spinach leaves
- Pepper to taste
Combine peas, broth, and water in large soup pot. Add ham bone, celery, and the tarragon. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes.
Chop carrots and add them to the soup pot, along with the spinach. Simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes.
Remove the soup from the heat. Remove the ham bone and shred the meat from the bone, removing any excess fat. Return the meat to the soup. Test for seasoning, and enjoy.