- 3 Ibs green tomatoes (approx. 10 or 12 medium) 3 medium sweet red peppers
- 4 medium onions
- 4 medium red apples
- 3 cups of Heinz distilled vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Wash, trim and quarter tomatoes, peppers and onions. Core and quarter unpeeled apples. Put vegetables and apples in a blender. Drain and discard liquid. Combine vinegar and remaining ingredients in sauce pan. Heat to boiling. Add vegetables and simmer thirty minutes. Continue simmering while filling clean Mason jars. Fill jar within 1/4 inch from the top. Seal tightly. Can be frozen .
Aunt Tannie gave this recipe to me. If I don’t have Mason jars, I just put the relish in containers and freeze them. I sometimes add this to tuna, chicken, or even egg salad. It’s delicious.