- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup finely chopped carrots
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 1 medium peeled and finely chopped potato
- 5 T. butter
- 4 – 5 T. flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 – 14 ½ oz can chicken broth (or homemade)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 – 12 oz good beer, dark, red or lager, like a Yuengling
- ¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup grated gruyere cheese
You can switch up the cheeses to what you like
Toss all the cheese together with a little flour 1T. or so
Croutons, popcorn and/or crumbled bacon for garnish
Heat the chicken broth
Melt the butter; add the chopped onion, carrots, celery, potato and sauté until soft. (5 -6 min)
Mix the flour, salt, pepper and cayenne together and sprinkle over the vegetables and still until smooth (will appear very thick).
Stir in the hot chicken broth and stir until smooth.
Simmer 5 min and pour in the 2 cups milk, continue to stir, let simmer 15 min, then stir in the beer, let simmer 15 min.
Do not let the soup boil at any time.
Taste for added seasonings, when nice and hot, still in all the cheeses, continue to cook to just under boiling, stir continuously, do not boil
For a little sweetness, stir in 1-teaspoon brown sugar!
Serve hot with croutons, popcorn and/or bacon garnish